Monitoring and Assessment of Hydrometeorological Variables
All stations of the Hydrologic Observatory of Athens are properly equipped to automatically record in 10-minute intervals the following variables:
The Hydrologic Observatory of Athens has been promoting research as various publications of NTUA have taken advantage of it’s infrastructure.
- Kochilakis G.,Prousanidis D.,Chrysoulakis N.,Varela V.,Kotroni V.,Eutychidis G.,Lagouvardos K.,Papathanassiou C., Karavokiros G., Aivazoglou M., Makropoulos C. and Mimikou M., (2016), FLIRE DSS: A Web Tool for the Management of Floods and Wildfires in urban and periurban Areas, Open Geosciences 8(8):711–727, https://doi.org/10.1515/geo-2016-0068
- Mimikou M., Baltas E., Panagos P., (2016), Statistical Analysis of the Raindrop Size Distribution Using Distrometer Data,
Hydrology, Vol. 3 / 1,9, doi.org/10.3390/hydrology3010009
- Kochilakis G., Poursanidis D., Chrysoulakis N., Varella V., Kotroni V., Eftychidis G., Lagouvardos K., Papathanasiou C., Karavokyros G., Aivazoglou M., Makropoulos C., Mimikou M., (2016), A web based DSS for the management of floods and wildfires (FLIRE) in urban and periurban areas, Environmental Modelling & Software,Volume.:86,(2016), pages:111-115, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.09.016
- C. Papathanasiou, C. Makropoulos, M. Mimikou, (2015), Hydrological modelling for flood forecasting: calibrating the post-fire initial conditions, Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 529, Part 3, pp. 1838-1850, doi: 10.1016/j.hydrol.2015.07.038.
- C. Papathanasiou, V. Pagana, C. Makropoulos, C. Massari, S. Barbetta, L. Brocca, M. Mimikou and T. Moramarco. (2015) Automating flood hazard mapping in a typical periurban area, Le Giornate Dell’Idrologia, 6-8 October 2015, Perugia, Italy.
- Poursanidis D.,Kochilakis G., Chrysoulakis N, Varella V., Kotroni V., Lagouvardos K., Eftychidis G., Papathanasiou C., Makropoulos C., Mimikou M.(2015) FLIRE: an EO-based DSS for combined flood and fire risk assessment in peri-urban areas, Mapping Urban Areas from Space (MUAS), 4-5 November 2015, ESA/ESRIN, Franscati, Rome, Italy
- Papathanasiou, C. Pagana, V., Macropoulos Ch. and Mimikou M. (2015) Examining the sensitivity of flood modelling in periurban areas in rainfall input of variable accuracy, 14th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology (CEST 2015), 3-5 September 2015, Rhodes, Greece.
- Dimitris Poursanidis, Giorgos Kochilakis, Nektarios Chrysoulakis, Vassiliki Varella, Vassiliki Kotroni, Giorgos Eftychidis, Kostas Lagouvardos, Chrysoula Papathanasiou, George Karavokyros, Maria Aivazoglou, Christos Makropoulos and Maria Mimikou, Hydrological modelling for flood forecasting: calibrating the post-fire initial conditions, FLIRE DSS, A web service system for the management of wildfires and floods in urban and periurban areas, 13th International Symposium on Geo-disaster Reduction, Prague 09-11 August 2015.
- Dimitris Poursanidis, Giorgos Kochilakis, Nektarios Chrysoulakis, Vassiliki Varella, Vassiliki Kotroni, Giorgos Eftychidis, Kostas Lagouvardos, Chrysoula Papathanasiou, George Karavokyros, Maria Aivazoglou, Christos Makropoulos & Maria Mimikou, Web service systems for the management of natural disasters – The case study of the FLIRE DSS in urban and rural areas, SafeChania 2015, Chania – Greece 10-12 June 2015
- Poursanidis D., Kochilakis G., Chrysoulakis N., Varella V., Kotroni V., Eftychidis G., Lagouvardos K., Papathanasiou C., Karavokyros G., Aivazoglou M., Makropoulos C. and Mimikou M., (2015), The FLIRE DSS, A web service SYSTEM for the management of natural disasters in urban and rural areas, RSCy2015 – Paphos, Cyprus, 16-19 March 2015
- Ioannis Mitsopoulos, Giorgos Eftychidis, Chrysoula Papathanasiou, Christos Makropoulos, Maria Mimikou, Post Fire Debris Flow Potential in a Fire Prone Mediterranean Landscape, II International Conference on Fire Behaviour and Risk. Alghero, Sardegna – Italy, 26-29 May 2015.
- I. Mitsopoulos, G. Eftychidis, C. Papathanasiou, C. Makropoulos, M. Mimikou., Assessing post fire flood risk potential in a typical Mediterranean Wildland – Urban Interface of Greece, International Conference on Changing Cities 2. Porto Heli, Peloponnese – Greece 22 – 26 June 2015.
- V. Kotroni, K. Lagouvardos, N. Chrysoulakis, C. Makropoulos, M.Mimikou, C. Papathanasiou, D. Poursanidis (2015). Weather monitoring and forecasting over eastern Attica (Greece) in the frame of FLIRE project, European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2015, Vienna, Austria, 12 – 17 April 2015.
- Baltas, E., Panagos D., Mimikou, M., (2015). An Approach for the Estimation of Hydrometeorological Variables Towards the Determination of Z-R Coefficients, Environmental Processes, Vol. 2, No 4, pp. 751-759
- Massari C., Brocca L., Barbetta S., Papathanasiou C., Mimikou M. and Moramarco T., 2014. Using globally available soil moisture indicators for flood modelling in Mediterranean catchments, Journal of Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), Vol. 18, pp. 839-853.
- Papathanasiou C., Makropoulos C., Baltas E. and Mimikou M., 2013. The Hydrological Observatory of Athens: a state-of-the-art network for the assessment of the hydrometeorological regime of Attica, Proc. 13th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, 5th-7th September 2013, Athens, Greece.
- Papathanasiou C., Makropoulos C. and Mimikou M., 2013. An innovative approach to Floods and Fire Risk Assessment and Management: the FLIRE Project”, Proc. 8th International Conference of EWRA “Water Resources Management in an Interdisciplinary and Changing Context”, 26th-29th June 2013, Porto, Portugal.
- Papathanasiou C., Alonistioti D., Kasella A., Macropoulos C. and Mimikou M., 2012. The impact of forest fires on the vulnerability of peri-urban catchments to flood events (the case of the eastern Attica region), Global Nest Journal, Special Issue on Water Resources, Hydrology and Hydraulics, Vol. 14, No 3, pp. 294-302.
- Varouchakis, E. A., G. V. Giannakis, M. A. Lilli, E. Ioannidou, N. P. Nikolaidis, and G. P. Karatzas, 2016. Development of a statistical tool for the estimation of riverbank erosion probability, Soil (EGU), 2, 1–11.
- Safiolea, E., Baki, S., Makropoulos, C., Deliege, J-F., Magermans, P., Everbecq, E., Gkesouli, A., Stamou, A. and Mimikou, M., 2011. Integrated modeling for river basin management planning, Water Management, Volume 164, Issue WM8, pp. 405-419
- Baltas E., Dervos N. and Mimikou M., 2010. Impact of changing rainfall conditions on surface and groundwater resources in an experimental watershed in Greece, Global Nest Journal
- Baltas E., Dervos N. and Mimikou M., 2010. Hydrological response and examination of the water resources in an experimental watershed in Greece, Water International
- Papathanasiou, C., Safiolea, E., Makropoulos, C. and Mimikou, M., 2009. The FLADAR Project and its contribution to the implementation of the EU Flood Directive 2007/60”, Proc. 11th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, 3-5 September 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece.
- Papathanasiou C., Safiolea E., Kalogiros Y. and Mimikou M., 2007. Comparative analysis of rain gauge and radar precipitation estimates in the Attiki area”, Proc. 10th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, 5 – 7 September 2007, Kos, Greece.
- Baltas E., Dervos N. and Mimikou M., 2007. Technical Note: Determination of the SCS initial abstraction ratio in an experimental watershed in Greece, Hydrology & Earth System Sciences
- Baltas E. and Mimikou M., 2002. The use of the Joss type disdrometer for the derivation of Z-R relationships, Proceedings of ERAD, pp. 291-294.