Hydrological Observatory of Athens
The Hydrological Observatory of Athens (HOA) is operated by the Centre for Hydrology and Informatics (CHI) of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). It is located in the region of Attica, covering the greater Athens area and the Rafina basin. The observatory includes:
- A monitoring network of 11 fully-automated hydrometeorological stations, 3 conventional rain gauges and 4 fully-automated streamflow gauges in the broader Athens area, covering an area of approximately 687 sqkm.
- An “experimental” catchment (X-basin) in Eastern Attica, covering an area of 15.18 sqkm. The X-basin is a small catchment used for basic research, which is integrated in the monitoring network of HOA.
- An “operational” catchment (Rafina basin) in Eastern Attica, covering an area of 127 sqkm. The Rafina basin is a flood prone basin used for applied research. It includes the X-basin and it is integrated in the monitoring network of HOA.
- Special monitoring equipment: 1 weather radar used for storm tracking, 1 disdrometer used for the investigation of rain drop size, 1 mobile van equipped with instruments for on-site measurements (analysis of hydrometeorological, hydrological, hydrochemical and hydrobiological parameters).
- An on-line platform (http://hoa.ntua.gr/) providing access to the information collected from HOA and processed by CHI.